Xiang Mao [pronounced sh-ong m-ou] (Cymbopogon citratus) is a rapid growing, aromatic clump grass that can grow up to 6 feet tall. Young Living’s Xiang Mao essential oil, commonly known as red lemongrass, is an organic essential oil that is distilled from the xiang mao grass that is grown on the mountain slopes by the Paiwan aboriginal tribe in southeaster Taiwan. The Paiwan community, known as “Big Bird,” cooperates with Dr. Ginn Le of the Young Living Taiwan Farm to supply this exclusive essential oil. Xiang mao is translated as “aromatic grass for rapid enlightenment.” Xiang mao was traditionally used to freshen household air, enlighten the mind, and moisten the skin. It was also used in folk medicine for its calming effects and the promote relaxation.
Botanical Family: Poaceae
Plant Origin: Taiwan
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from grasses
- Limonene (3-7%)
- Citronellal (40-50%)
- Citonellol (11-16%)
- Geraniol (15-18%)
- Germacrene-D (1-3%)
- Alpha-Elemol (1-2%)
Historical Data: This aromatic grass is sometimes called red lemongrass and has been used in folk medicine as a calming agent. It was also used to keep air in the home fresh.
How to Use
- Topical: Apply 2-4 drops directly to desired area. Dilution not required, except for the most sensitive skin. Use as needed.
- Aromatic: Diffuse up to 1 hour 3 times daily.
- Caution: Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.
- Diffuse as a powerful air purifier and odor eliminator.
- Mix with V-6™ or another massage oil and apply to feet for a boost in immune support.*
- Apply to skin for a lasting moisturizer that calms and relaxes.
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.